Leather is quite pricey but it is considered as a good investment because it lasts longer than any other upholstery. Regular cleaning will help you make sure that it is free from dirt, grime, dust, body oils, and sweat. When not dealt with promptly, all of these can seep deeply into your leather sofa. Therefore, it is very important to know how to clean a leather sofa in order to make sure that your leather sofa remains a wise investment.
Leather is a popular choice of materials not just for clothing but even for furniture. This is because of its comfort and elegance. However, keeping it clean can be quite challenging especially when it is frequently used. While it is popular for its style and durability, it can show wear and tear especially after a while. Therefore, it needs extra attention compared to other kinds of fabric and upholstery.
Here are the things that you will need to clean a leather sofa:
- Vacuum cleaner: It is always important to use vacuum cleaners in cleaning upholstery as well as other places in the house. Its pressure will help you get rid of most dirt.
- Soft brush attachment: It ensures a more efficient cleaning.
- Cleaning solution: Mix your own cleaning solution. You can use white vinegar and water. Otherwise, you can also use commercial leather cleansers.
- Clean, soft cloth: Use any clean, dry, and soft cloth but microfiber is highly recommended.
- Clean towel: This is used to dry the leather instead of a blow dryer.
- Leather conditioner: You can either use commercial leather conditioners or make your own. Just mix white vinegar and flax seed oil or linseed oil.
Once you have gathered all the things that you will need to clean a leather sofa, follow these simple steps:
Step #1: Vacuum
Attach the brush onto the vacuum and let the vacuum suck all the dirt and grime of the leather sofa. Make sure that you clean even the crevices of the sofa.
Step #2: Wipe
Dip the clean cloth in the cleaning solution. Wring it out to get rid of the excess solution and to make sure that the cloth is just damp. Wipe the sofa from the top part going all the way down.
Step #3: Dry
Instead of blow dryer, use a clean towel to dry the sofa. This will prevent dehydrating the sofa.
Step #4: Condition
Use a clean cloth to apply the leather conditioner on the sofa in circular motions. For optimum results, leave the conditioner on your leather sofa overnight.
Step #5: Buff
On the following day, you can use a clean rag or cloth to buff the leather sofa. This will make your leather sofa shine just like the star that it is.
These are the solutions for different kinds of stain on your leather sofa:
- Mold – water and rubbing alcohol
- Dark stains – cream of tartar and lemon juice
- Marker stains – aerosol hairspray or rubbing alcohol
- Grease – baking soda
With regular cleaning, your leather sofa will always be in its best condition to shine and to make you shine!